Week 1

Hey there! My name is Jake and this is my summer blog documenting my time at the NIMBUS Lab. First off, a bit about myself: I’m a rising junior at Swarthmore College where I primarily study Computer Science, Linguistics, Math, and Art History. At the time of writing this, I am mainly interested in human computer interaction (HCI) and hope to explore that this summer.

Anyway, this week was orientation week in the lab. It consisted of meeting the people who worked in the lab and getting up to speed. Part of getting up to speed was learning a bit about the Robot Operating System (ROS). I did all of the beginner tutorials for ROS and I really enjoyed the process. Learning about topics and nodes was a lot of fun.

This week I also got to fly a quadcopter in the cage! Unfortunately, I’m not very good at it, but I plan to get better. Other than that, I started studying for the FAA part 107 exam and completed a whole bunch of CITI training modules. Everyone in the lab seems very knowledgeable and all of the projects seem super cool. Needless to say, I’m very excited for the rest of the summer.