Week 4

Hey! It’s Amy.

Weekend: We went to the Omaha Zoo! It was raining, which I thought was super inconvenient, so I complained all Friday about it. My mentor even bought an umbrella to shut my whining up. But because there was rain, they had to move the elephants and giraffes indoors. I saw a giraffe from 10 ft away! It was incredible.

Day 1: For this week, I was given the task of connecting multiple sensors to a microcontroller to output a text file of the data being logged. Once the sensors work, I can run tests and see which sensors are most responsive and most accurate.

Day 2: I don’t know how to connect them all at once, so I started with the SHT31 sensor. I found some pretty neat directions on the company website. It worked! I wrote an Arduino program to collect the data I needed to compare to our current sensor. Now it’s times to get the BMP280 sensor working. I installed some libraries for it and then poof, the data was streaming in at like 100 Hz.

Day 3: Today I did things. They dealt with drones, which by the way are super cool. I was tasked with putting some thingies together, mainly cords and wires. I had to connect both the SHT and BMP to the Arduino. Nothing was working, so I decided to use the good old rejuvenation technique, which involved a moderately complex process of pressing a restart button on my laptop and then waiting for the laptop to reboot. The result of this 3 minutes process yielded a working program. But really, I was just missing a curly brace. But now it’s capable of being uploaded into Arduino that could then be translated into controlling the sensors that measure temperature, pressure, and humidity of the environment that our drones would be exposed to.

Day 4: Now that everything works, I ran tests to compare the sensors. The ones I put together always had an extreme offset of 10 degrees in temperature readings, so I’ll have to research the operating regions of these. As for humidity, there was an offset of 10 millibars. Is that significant? Who knows? That’ll be some googling for tomorrow.

Day 5: Turns out 10 millibars is about a 250 ft change in altitude. Not good. We’re only going up to 1000 ft at the conference, so a quarter of the way is significant. Maybe I’ll try to run some tests next week to see the pressure changes. Okay bye! I’m going to go find some tall buildings on campus.